Thursday, April 14, 2005

Moments of silence

I think it's astonishing that fifteen minutes can change everything. Fifteen minutes can become the most lasting memory you have of someone. How can fifiteen minutes replace everything that came before it? How can fifteen meaningless, insignificant little minutes predominate over months and months of other moments. Fifteen minutes that you can't ever change, or forget, or keep from being the first thing you remember. Fifteen minutes in which you said nothing. Just fifteen minutes, and you become a number...you become someone else.

In some movie, I can't remember which one, the protaginist said that our lives were made up of just a few big days--days that changed everything. I'd argue that everything can change in less than a day; less than an hour. I shudder to think of the days and moments that someone else would say made up my life. Maybe those big days changed me, but they aren't who I am. I refuse to let them be all that I am.

The words of one moment linger in your mind, and no matter what, you can't erase them. And sometimes you feel guilty because you miss hearing them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home