Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Semantics Won't Get You Laid

Linguistically, 'can't' and 'won't' aren't terribly dissimilar. Common vernacular allows them to be used almost interchangeably. Yet the meaning can (will?) be starkly different. As dictated by the laws of nature, god, society, physics, etc. there is little more than what you can and cannot do. I can put condoms on with my mouth. I cannot alter the past, grant wishes when rubbed, or use x-ray vision. Simple, finite rules that govern most elements of existence.

Ah, but wait! Silly hussy. You forgot about free will. Our (questionable at best) ability to engage free will fucks with the rules. Behavior is not definitively predictable because we have the ability to choose. Enter here the ever present 'won't.' Law, divine or otherwise, is unalterable, unbreakable. But we can bend it with one little word or it's contraction cousin.

You can drunk dial me, but you won't call me on my birthday. You cannot drive, but you will when you want to. I can let you into my house, into my bed whenever you call, but I won't fuck you. I cannot force myself to stop caring, but I will eventually move on. I can see the last 7 months repeating, but I won't let it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home